Kaitahi As One, native ingredient
Call to all entrepreneurs, Entries are open for FoodStarter 2022
New World shoppers across Aotearoa are now able to enjoy one of New Zealand’s most innovative new products from FoodStarter winner Kaitahi As One, whose award-winning range is launching into stores nationwide this week.
Kaitahi As One’s range of frozen smoothy drops are packed full of sustainable, native
The South Taranaki iwi-owned enterprise was crowned one of two FoodStarter winners
Commenting on the nationwide launch, Arohaina Owen from Kaitahi As One said from the moment they won, the FoodStarter partners have been phenomenal. “From day one we’ve been supported with invaluable advice, given expert guidance and imparted knowledge that has brought us to this amazing milestone.
“Our nationwide New World launch has seen us go into 147 New World freezers across the country. The ability to not only upscale in such a short space of time, but develop an inspiring new brand identity and amazing packaging is something we couldn’t have achieved without the support of our FoodStarter whānau.
“When we started Kaitahi As One we wanted to create a business that not only celebrated native Māori ingredients but supported the local community. The FoodStarter win and the opportunity to go into New World’s nationwide has been an absolute game changer for us, it’s also helping to create new employment opportunities for our community, which is incredible.
“The whole team is really excited to mark this next major phase in our business and introduce these amazing
FoodStarter is a nationwide innovation
“FoodStarter is a fast-track journey with the goal of enabling long-term success to some of New Zealand’s most innovative entrepreneurs and suppliers,” says Marian
“We know New Zealanders, Kaitahi As One and everyone involved with FoodStarter is very excited to see what the future holds for them.”
Entries for FoodStarter 2022 are now open
Entries are now open for FoodStarter 2022, the competition is a celebration of product innovation in New Zealand. Open to small suppliers to New World and entrepreneurs from across Aotearoa, this year the criteria for entry has been extended to encompass any local product that can be sold in a supermarket.
“I’m really excited to see what the next cohort of FoodStarter entrants bring to the table,” said Chris Quin, Foodstuffs North Island CEO. “FoodStarter is an exciting and fast-growing community of innovative suppliers and we’re very proud to be a part of supporting them to develop and grow. I would encourage all entrepreneurs with an innovative product to enter the competition, whether they’re already a small supplier to New World, or just starting out. The support successful entrants receive from all the FoodStarter partners is absolutely second to none.”
Click here to register now and start the journey.
Entries close on 6 February
FoodStarter categories are:
- Start-up – for businesses who aren’t currently ranged with New World
- Small Suppliers with New World – for small suppliers who are ranged with New World
The amazing prize package includes:
- The opportunity for National ranging in the New World supermarket network across New Zealand
- Expert startup incubation programme provided by the start-up activation team at Ministry of Awesome
- Specialist Food & beverage sector R&D, development, and support with Food Innovation Network
- Design and marketing support from Strategy Creative
- Go to market, sell-in, and sell-through strategy support provided by Foodstuffs North Island and Foodstuffs South Island Merchandising Team
- Marketing & PR support provided by Foodstuffs Marketing & CX Team
- A fully paid for HQ for up to 4 team members for 12 months at Christchurch’s Te Ohaka – Centre for Growth and Innovation (South Island) or GridAKL (North Island)
- Workshop with Socialites, 2019 Australasian Social Media Agency of the Year.
- Media Consulting Sessions with PHD Media.